For many men, how to style long hair can be a daunting task. With so many different hair types and styles out there, it can be difficult to know where to begin. There are a plethora of styles to choose from, including buzz cuts, fades, and undercuts. However, for those with longer locks, knowing how to style men's long hair can be a bit more challenging. Longer hair requires more maintenance and care than shorter styles, and it can be difficult to know where to start when it comes to styling.
Additionally, many men may feel unsure about how to wear their hair long, especially if they are used to shorter styles. Fortunately, with a little bit of guidance and some practice, anyone can learn how to style men's long hair to create a variety of different looks, from casual to sophisticated.
Identify Your Hair Type
Identifying your hair type is an essential step in styling your hair. There are four main hair types: straight, wavy, curly, and kinky. Understanding your hair type will help you choose the right products and techniques to achieve the style you want.
- Straight Hair: Straight hair is characterized by hair strands that have little or no wave or curl. It is often smooth and shiny and can be challenging to hold a style. Those with straight hair should opt for lightweight products such as mousses, sprays, or light pomades to add volume and hold.
- Wavy Hair: Wavy hair has a slight wave or curl to it, giving it a natural bounce and texture. Those with wavy hair can use products that add definition and hold, such as sea salt sprays or lightweight gels.
- Curly Hair: Curly hair has a defined curl pattern and can range from loose waves to tight spirals. It tends to be dry and prone to frizz, so it's essential to use products that add moisture and hold, such as leave-in conditioners, curl creams, and gels.
- Kinky Hair: Kinky hair has tight coils or curls that are often referred to as Afro-textured hair. It tends to be the driest and most fragile hair type and requires special care. Those with kinky hair should use products that add moisture and define curls, such as leave-in conditioners, curl creams, and heavy gels.
It's important to note that hair types can also be a combination of two or more of the above types. For example, someone may have wavy hair with a few curls. Identifying your hair type can be a starting point, but understanding the unique characteristics of your hair is crucial in selecting the right products and styling techniques.
Choose the Right Hair Products
Selecting the right hair products is crucial for achieving the perfect hairstyle. There are a variety of products available, including pomades, gels, waxes, clays, and hairsprays. Pomades and gels are best for sleek and structured styles, while waxes and clays are better suited for textured and messy looks. Hairspray can be used to add hold and volume to any style.
Wash and Condition Your Hair
Washing and conditioning your hair is an essential step in any hair care routine. Here are some tips on how to wash and condition your hair, along with some examples of hair care products for men:
Shampoo: Start by wetting your hair thoroughly with warm water. Apply a small amount of shampoo to your hair and scalp, and massage gently with your fingertips to create a lather. Rinse thoroughly with warm water. Avoid using hot water as it can dry out your scalp and hair. You should shampoo your hair 2-3 times a week or as needed.
Examples of hair care products for men:
- American Crew Daily Shampoo
- Redken Brews Daily Shampoo
- Kiehl's Men's Damage Repairing and Rehydrating Shampoo
Conditioner: After shampooing, apply a small amount of conditioner to your hair, focusing on the ends. Leave it on for a few minutes, then rinse thoroughly with cool water. Conditioner helps to moisturize and detangle your hair, making it more manageable and reducing the risk of breakage.
Examples of hair care products for men:
- Dove Men+Care Fortifying 2-in-1 Shampoo and Conditioner
- Jack Black Nourishing Hair and Scalp Conditioner
- Baxter of California Daily Fortifying Conditioner
Deep Conditioning: If your hair is damaged, dry, or chemically treated, consider using a deep conditioning treatment once a week. Apply the treatment to your hair, focusing on the ends, and leave it on for the recommended time. Rinse thoroughly with cool water.
Examples of hair care products for men:
- Shea Moisture Manuka Honey & Mafura Oil Intensive Hydration Masque
- Moroccanoil Restorative Hair Mask
- Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Hair and Scalp Treatment
Leave-in Conditioner: If you have curly or kinky hair, a leave-in conditioner can help to moisturize and define your curls. Apply a small amount of the product to your hair, focusing on the ends. Style your hair as usual.
Examples of hair care products for men:
- Cantu Shea Butter Leave-In Conditioning Repair Cream
- Kinky Curly Knot Today Leave-In Conditioner
- Curls Blueberry Bliss Leave-In Conditioner
Blow Dry Your Hair
Blow-drying your hair is an essential step in styling your hair, especially if you have longer hair or want to add volume and texture to your hairstyle. Here are some tips on how to blow-dry your hair effectively:
- Towel Dry Your Hair: Start by towel-drying your hair to remove excess water. Gently pat your hair dry, avoid rubbing your hair with the towel as it can cause frizz and damage your hair.
- Apply Heat Protectant: Apply a heat protectant product to your hair before blow-drying to protect it from heat damage. Heat-protectant products help to reduce breakage, split ends, and frizz.
- Section Your Hair: Divide your hair into sections using clips or hair ties. Start at the back of your head and work your way forward, section by section. This will help you to dry your hair evenly and prevent overheating or under-drying some parts.
- Use a Round Brush: Using a round brush while blow-drying can add volume and texture to your hair. Choose a brush size that matches the length of your hair. Place the brush under the hair section, and start blow-drying from the roots to the ends, rolling the brush outward to create a smooth curl or inward for more volume.
- Use a Low Heat Setting: Use a low heat setting on your hairdryer to avoid overheating your hair, which can cause damage and frizz. Avoid using the highest heat setting unless you have very thick or coarse hair.
- Finish with Cool Air: Finish your blow-drying routine by using the cool air setting on your hairdryer to lock in your style and add shine. Use a cool shot button if your hairdryer has one to blast a burst of cool air onto your hair to set the style.
By following these tips and using the right hair products for your hair type, you can create a variety of hairstyles with a blow dryer. Some of the recommended hair products for men include the TRESemmé Thermal Creations Heat Tamer Spray, the Redken Brews Hairspray, and the Bumble and Bumble Sumotech Pomade.
Style Your Hair
Styling your hair is a personal choice and depends on your hair type, length, and personal preference. Here are some tips on how to style different types of men's hair:
- Short Hair: Short hair is easy to maintain and style. Use a pomade, wax, or clay to create a slick back, side part, or textured messy look.
- Medium-Length Hair: Medium-length hair gives you more styling options. You can slick it back, comb it over, or create a messy tousled look. Use a styling cream or clay to add texture and hold.
- Long Hair: Long hair requires more maintenance but gives you more styling options. Use a hair tie or headband to keep your hair out of your face. You can style it into a bun, ponytail, or braid.
- Long Straight Hair: If you have long, straight hair, you can style it into a sleek look, or you can add some texture and volume by using a volumizing mousse or spray.
- Curly Hair: Curly hair requires extra moisture and care to prevent frizz and damage. Use a leave-in conditioner or curl-defining cream to enhance your curls and create a polished look.
- Like Korean Male: If you want to achieve a Korean male hairstyle, you can try a sleek undercut or a textured messy look with short to medium-length hair. Use a styling gel or pomade to keep your hair in place.
Here are some of the best hair styling products for men:
- American Crew Fiber: provides a strong, pliable hold for short to medium-length hair.
- Baxter of California Clay Pomade: gives a firm, matte finish for a textured, natural look.
- Suavecito Pomade: delivers a medium hold with a high shine for a slick back or side part.
- Moroccanoil Texture Clay: adds definition and texture to short to medium-length hair with a matte finish.
- Redken Brews Hairspray: provides a firm, long-lasting hold for all hair types.
Remember, when styling your hair, choose products that work best for your hair type and experiment with different styles to find the look that suits you.
How to Style Long Straight Hair Men
Styling long hair for men can be a bit tricky, but with the right techniques and products, it can be a great way to showcase your personal style. Here are some tips on how to style long hair for men:
- Keep your hair healthy: Long hair requires extra care and attention to keep it looking healthy and shiny. Make sure to use a high-quality shampoo and conditioner, and avoid using too much heat on your hair (such as blow dryers or straighteners).
- Find the right cut: Long hair can look great on men, but it's important to find the right cut that complements your face shape and hair type. Consider getting regular trims to prevent split ends and keep your hair looking neat and tidy.
- Experiment with different styles: Long hair gives you plenty of options when it comes to styling. You can wear it down and loose, tie it back in a ponytail or bun, braid it, or even try a half-up, half-down style. Experiment with different looks to find what works best for you.
- Use the right products: Without products, it can be impossible to make your long hair look flawless. A good styling cream or pomade can help tame flyaways and keep your hair looking sleek and shiny.
- Embrace your natural texture: Long hair can have a mind of its own, but that's part of what makes it so great. Embrace your natural texture and work with it to create a style that's uniquely your own.
- Remember, styling long or medium-long hair for men takes time and patience, but the results can be well worth it. With the right care and attention, you can have a head of hair that's both stylish and healthy.
When it comes to styling long straight hair for men, there are a few additional tips to keep in mind. Straight hair tends to be more prone to flatness and lack of volume, so using a volumizing shampoo and conditioner can help create more texture and body. Using a hairdryer with a round brush can also help create more volume and shape. Additionally, experimenting with different parts can help create a different look with minimal effort. Finally, incorporating a hair accessory such as a headband or hair clip can add a touch of style to your long straight hair.
Guide to Styling Medium Length Straight Hair for Men at Home Without Gel for Beginners
Whether you have straight or wavy hair, you can create a stylish look without using gel or leaving the comfort of your home. In this guide, we'll be sharing the top tips for how to style medium-length hair at home for male without gel.
- The first step in styling your medium-length hair is to start with clean hair. Use a shampoo that suits your hair type and face. If you have oily hair, go for a clarifying shampoo, and if your hair is dry, use a moisturizing shampoo. After washing your hair, towel dry it, but don't rub it vigorously as this can cause frizz.
- Next, decide how you want to style your hair. For a simple, yet classic look, part your hair on one side using a comb. If you have wavy hair, use a curl-defining cream to enhance your natural texture. Apply the cream to damp hair and scrunch it lightly to create defined waves. If you have straight hair, you can create a sleek look by using a hair straightener. Divide your hair into sections and straighten each section, starting from the roots to the ends.
- To add volume to your medium-length hair, you can also use a round brush and a hairdryer. Start by using the brush to lift the roots of your hair while blow-drying it. This will add volume to your hair and create a fuller look.
- Lastly, finish off your hairstyle by using a lightweight hairspray to hold your hair in place. Use it sparingly, so you don't weigh your hair down or make it look greasy.
Exploring Men's Hair Styling Trends on Instagram: Tips, Tricks, and Inspiration
Instagram has become a go-to platform for men's hair inspiration and styling tips. There are many hairstylists, influencers, and barbers on the platform who share their tips, tricks, and tutorials on how to style men's hair. You can find inspiration for different hair types and textures, from short to long, curly to straight.
One popular trend on Instagram is the undercut, which involves shaving the sides and back of the head while leaving the top longer. This style allows for a lot of versatility in terms of styling, and you can play around with different textures and lengths on top. Another popular trend is the messy, textured look, which involves using a styling product to create a messy, undone look.
Instagram is also a great place to find recommendations for hair care products, including shampoos, conditioners, and styling products. Many hairstylists and influencers share their favorite products and how to use them to achieve different looks.
Overall, Instagram has become an excellent resource for men's haircuts, and with so many options to choose from, you're sure to find a look that suits you. Just remember to consider your face shape and hair type when choosing a style and don't be afraid to experiment with different products and techniques to find what works best for you.
Glambook has more than 37,000 self-employed professionals from Berlin, London, Milan, and 50 other cities across Europe who have already registered with the platformDOWNLOAD