Whether you're a makeup maven or a brow novice, perfectly sculpted eyebrows can take your beauty look to the next level. But with so many different eyebrow makeup products out there - from brow pencils to waxes to eyebrow gels - it can be tough to know where to start.
That's why we're here to help! In this guide, we'll be focusing on two standout eyebrow products: brow powder and gel. We'll go over how to choose the right shades, prep your brows for makeup, and apply both products like a pro. Plus, we'll give you some tips for combining brow powder and gel for an ultra-defined, long-lasting look.
Choosing the Right Brow Powder and Gel
But first, let's talk about why eyebrows are such an important part of our beauty routine. Not only do they frame the face and add definition to our features, but well-groomed eyebrows can also make us look more polished and put-together. No wonder the quest for the perfect brow shape has become a beauty obsession!
So, how do you pick the best brow powders and gels for you? The first step is to determine the right colour for your eyebrows. You want to choose a shade that matches your natural brow hairs as closely as possible - going too light or too dark can result in a fake or over-drawn look.
Next, consider whether a powder or a gel is right for you. If you have oily skin or live in a humid climate, a gel might be a better choice as it has a tendency to stay in place better than powder. On the other hand, if you have dry skin or prefer a more natural finish, a brow powder might be your best bet.
Finally, take into account any specific needs or preferences you might have. For example, if you're vegan or looking for cruelty-free options, be sure to check the labels and terms of the products you're considering.
Preparing Your Eyebrows for Makeup
Once you've found the perfect brow powder and gel, it's time to prep your eyebrows for makeup application. The first step is to shape and groom your eyebrows to your desired shape. This can be done with a pair of tweezers, an eyebrow razor, or even just a spoolie brush. Next, fill in any gaps or sparse areas with a brow pencil or brow pomade.
Finally, be sure to moisturise the skin around your eyebrows and use a primer to create a smooth base for your brow makeup. This will help your brow powder and gel go on smoothly and stay in place all day.
How to Apply Brow Powder
Now that your eyebrows are prepped and ready to go, it's time to fill in your eyebrows with powder. Here's a step-by-step guide:
- Start by using an angled brush to dip into your brow powder.
- Beginning at the inner corner of your brow, use light strokes to fill in any sparse areas.
- Work your way towards the outer corner of your brow, using the same light, feathery strokes.
- Use the spoolie side of your brush to blend the powder through your brows, making sure there are no harsh lines.
- Set your brows with a clear brow gel to help the powder stay in place.
One common mistake people make when applying brow powder is using too much product. Remember, a little goes a long way when it comes to brow powder - you don't want to end up with super thick, heavy brows. Another mistake to avoid is not blending the powder well enough - this can result in a harsh, unnatural-looking brow.
How to Use Brow Gel
Once you've mastered the art of applying brow powder, it's time to move on to well gels. Here's how to do it:
- Start by using a spoolie brush to comb through your eyebrows and remove any excess product.
- Next, dip the brush into your brow gel, making sure to scrape off any excess product on the side of the tube.
- Beginning at the inner corner of your brow, use short strokes to brush the gel through your brows, following the natural shape.
- Work your way towards the outer corner of your brow, continuing to use short strokes and brushing the gel through your brows.
- Use the spoolie side of your brush to blend the gel through your brows, making sure there are no clumps or excess product.
As with brow powder, it's important to avoid using too much brow gel, as this can result in a heavy, unnatural-looking brow. Another mistake to avoid is not blending the gel well enough - this can lead to a defined but uneven brow.
Brow gel before and after
Combining Brow Powder and Gel
If you want to take your brow game to the next level, try combining brow powder and gel for an ultra-defined, long-lasting look. Start by applying your brow powder as usual, using light, feathery strokes to fill in your brows. Next, use a spoolie brush to comb through your brows and remove any excess product. Finally, finish off with a thin layer of brow gel to set your brows in place and add extra definition.
Maintenance and Touch-Ups
Maintaining perfectly sculpted brows throughout the day can be a challenge, especially if you have an active lifestyle or live in a humid climate. To help your brow powder and gel stay in place, try using a setting spray specifically designed for eyebrows. These sprays are lightweight and help to hold your brows in place, without feeling sticky or stiff.
Another way to keep your brows looking fresh is to carry a mini brow kit with you on the go. This can include a brow pencil or pomade for filling in any sparse areas, a brow gel for setting and defining your brows, and a spoolie brush for blending and grooming. Having these tools on hand can make it easy to touch up your brows whenever needed.
In addition to using setting spray and carrying a mini brow kit, there are a few other tips you can follow to maintain your perfectly sculpted brows throughout the day:
- Avoid touching your brows excessively. This can cause your brow powder and gel to smudge or smear, ruining all your hard work.
- Keep a compact mirror with you at all times. This can make it easy to check on your brows throughout the day and make any necessary touch-ups.
- Avoid using oil-based skincare products around your brow area. Oils can break down your brow makeup and cause it to fade or smudge.
- Make sure you touch up your makeup before and after brow gel is applied to avoid smudging.
- If you aren’t comfortable doing it yourself, you can always go into a specialised shop and have an expert applicator provide this service for you.
Brow powder and gel are essential tools for achieving perfectly sculpted eyebrows. With a little practice and the right techniques, you can create a natural or defined look that lasts all day. Just remember to choose the right shade for your brows, prep your skin and eyebrows properly, and be gentle when grooming and shaping. Now go forth and rock those gorgeous brows like the queen you are!
Glambook has more than 37,000 self-employed professionals from Berlin, London, Milan, and 50 other cities across Europe who have already registered with the platformDOWNLOAD